Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A Dozen Roses

This really all began with a photo. Not my photo, though. Any photographer who is unwilling to learn from or be inspired by other photographers is doomed to failure. That morning in particular, I opened my Facebook and saw the photo below:


I knew the moment I saw it I wanted to recreate it with my own style. I wanted the rose to be red, and not quite so "bloomed out", for starters, but the more I thought about it, the more ideas came to mind.

Then I heard a pastor speak one day, and he talked about how when a man gives a woman a dozen roses, it seems like a big thing. But what if instead of giving her a dozen roses, he gave her a rose every day for twelve days? That way, she would smile 12 times instead of just once, and in twelve days, she would still have a new flower in her hand, instead of 12 dead ones.

So my idea was born: "A Dozen Roses". One rose every day, for twelve kids. It cost me the price of two trips to Burger King, and instead of calories, I got 12 smiles in return. (Actually 14, because a couple of these kids had close siblings and I didn't want to leave them out.)


Anna Rae loves horses, and she rides English style. She speaks in a beautiful whisper.


Braylee is a tiny dancer, and her eyes shine like topaz gemstones.


Alleigh's smile lights up the darkest days, and her laughter is like music.


Madison wants to be a supermodel, but she has a goofy side that is only outshone by her cerulean blue eyes. (Yes, they are THAT blue.)



Sierra has had multiple open heart surgeries, and each time her parents were told to say goodbye prior to the procedure. She keeps coming back, and that means God has something important for her to do. I can't wait to see what it is. <><

Callie's parents inspire me every Sunday in church, and Callie herself may be coming around to me. Maybe. Potentially. I think this look speaks volumes about that. <3


Melanie wears her heart on her sleeve, but she also holds a chunk of MY heart in her hands. That baby. Gah. 



Breanna grabbed my hand on the day she met me, and her mom said "She doesn't trust easily. That's crazy that she went to you like that." (All this, and Heaven, too?)



Lily is my parrot. She is too big to do this now, but she used to sit on my shoulder and squawk when I would talk like a pirate and say "And this be me parrot." <3




Charlotte has a quiet force of calm all around her. She has no sweat glands, so she can't get too hot, but it's like she exudes a cool breeze of gentleness from her very spirit.




Kenleigh is not a quiet storm.  She's a true country girl, and she can level you with her eyes.



Brittley's family I literally just met, and yet, when I saw her in her "Little House on the Prairie" dress that Sunday, I knew I wanted hers to be the last rose. 

<>< <>< <><

Twelve roses, twelve little princesses, twelve beautiful smiles afterward.

Wow...that was like, more fun than I ever anticipated starting out!

I think I want to do it again...with a different subject this time.

Maybe "Freckles"...where I choose twelve kids with amazing freckles!

Or maybe "Face of the Valley" with one student from each local high school.

Stay tuned. :D












1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful project! You are so gifted in many ways, but especially photography! I love that you put a little bit of each girl with the pictures! I brought happy years to my eyes! Thank you for including Breanna in this.

    ReplyDelete